Wednesday, April 30, 2008

The Art of The Dunk


Tonight at 6:00 pm, the Washington Wizards face the Cleveland Cavaliers in the 5th game of the NBA playoffs. This may seem like a strange thing to mention on a blog about art. After all, sports and art are not often considered in relation to each other. The stereotypical museum goer is certainly distinct from the popular image of a sports enthusiast. I guess, in a way, I myself break these stereotypes simply by being a lover of the arts and a loyal sports fan. However, I see no reason that the two should be kept separate. I think sports can be seen as art. As I see it, there is a certain style and grace with which a basketball player executes a slam dunk. I look at basketball, and sports in general, as another form of performance art much like theater and dance. So don’t forget to watch the Wizards tonight, support DC’s sports, and maybe even think of art in a whole new way.

1 comment:

HWElad said...

Barbara is awesome!!!