Saturday, May 17, 2008

Take Me Out to the Ballgame

“The mother art is architecture. Without an architecture of our own we have no soul of our own.”-Frank Lloyd Wright

I remember my very first weekend at the University of Maryland, during freshmen orientation, the school organized a bus trip to DC. A group of students went to many of the major memorials: the Washington Monument, the FDR Memorial, the Jefferson memorial, and the Vietnam memorial. Although I felt a little touristy, it was a good experience for everyone to see some of DC’s greatest architecture.

This year a new site has been added to the list of noteworthy places. As an architectural structure, it may not be as significant as the above mentioned monuments, but its presence adds to the heart and soul of the city. The recently opened baseball stadium, Nationals Park, is a great place for Washingtonians to come together for a summer evening to celebrate their city and America’s national pastime. I haven’t had a chance to see a game in Nationals Park yet, but I can hardly wait, and I hope to see a stadium full of people.

No comments: